And also see our buyer’s tips in How To Shop For Bug Zappers later in the article to help you determine what is the best bug zapper for you.
Best Bug Zappers
|Zappers||Wide variety of outdoor bug zappers||Good selection of small residential bug zappers||Bug zappers designed for indoor use
|Options||Indoor options available||Variety of handheld options||Wall-plug options available
|Special Features||Sells brackets and poles for easy placement||Sells a variety of other insect control products||Options covering up to 35 square meters
|Customer Ratings||4.3 / 5.0 Stars||4.0 / 5.0 Stars||5.0 / 5.0 Stars|
Also see: Best Bug Zappers Comparison Table
Quick Answer: The 5 Best Bug Zappers – 
Best Bug Zappers Reviews
Outdoor Bug Zappers
#1 – Flowtron
- Wide variety of outdoor bug zappers
- Indoor options available
- Commercial options available
- Sells brackets and poles for easy placement
- Options up to 120 watts
- Options covering up to 1.5 acres
- Replacement bulbs readily available
After many years of innovation and expansion, they are now best known for the Flowtron division of their company. Flowtron is now a leader in outdoor products throughout the world.
Even with the huge amount of growth and success that they’ve seen throughout the years, Armatron International remains a family-owned company that proudly manufacturers all products in the USA.
They have quite a large variety of outdoor bug zappers compared to other companies. They’ve even got a few indoor and commercial options available.
Expand To See More Their options range from bug zappers that cover up to a ½ acre to ones that cover 1 ½ acres. Larger options even go up to 120 watts for more effective insect elimination. The company also sells a variety of poles and brackets that allow you to easily place the bug zappers on your property. Replacement bulbs are also readily available for purchase from the company making long-term use easier and more convenient. While the cost of these is higher than some other brands, the value is still very high when you consider the power, coverage, and convenience you’re getting with Flowtron.
Their options range from bug zappers that cover up to a ½ acre to ones that cover 1 ½ acres. Larger options even go up to 120 watts for more effective insect elimination.
The company also sells a variety of poles and brackets that allow you to easily place the bug zappers on your property.
Replacement bulbs are also readily available for purchase from the company making long-term use easier and more convenient.
While the cost of these is higher than some other brands, the value is still very high when you consider the power, coverage, and convenience you’re getting with Flowtron.
#2 – Black Flag
- Good selection of small residential bug zappers
- Variety of handheld options
- Replacement bulbs readily available
- Options up to 40 watts
- Options covering up to 1 acre
- Sells a variety of other insect control products
Always keeping their focus on the most effective insect control methods, the technology they use is ever-changing. Today, they sell a variety of insect-control products ranging from insecticide to bug zappers to insect traps.
Being more focused towards strictly residential use, their bug zappers tend to be smaller. They have options that go up to 40 watts – a good bit less power than the strongest options from Flowtron. Still, yet, they are effective for smaller areas.
Expand To See More Black Flag does have options that are able to cover up to 1 acre, though. Many of the options from Black Flag are actually handheld. They are basically electrified fly swatters. These are good for keeping around to quickly eliminate insects that you see flying around your home or outdoor areas. Like Flowtron, Black Flag offers readily available replacement bulbs for their zappers. These are very affordable options that are perfect for anyone on a budget looking for good quality bug zappers.
Black Flag does have options that are able to cover up to 1 acre, though. Many of the options from Black Flag are actually handheld.
They are basically electrified fly swatters. These are good for keeping around to quickly eliminate insects that you see flying around your home or outdoor areas.
Like Flowtron, Black Flag offers readily available replacement bulbs for their zappers. These are very affordable options that are perfect for anyone on a budget looking for good quality bug zappers.
Indoor Bug Zappers
#3 – Dekugaa
- Bug zappers designed for indoor use
- Offers a 1-year warranty on products
- Up to 110 volt electric shock
- Wall-plug options available
- Options covering up to 35 square meters
- Highly affordable brand
They are specifically made for indoor use unlike some brands that only sell outdoor options. This helps give you better protection from flying insects inside your home.
They have a couple of larger options ranging up to one with a 110 volt electric shock that is highly effective. This larger option covers up to 35 square meters of indoor space.
Expand To See More Also available from this brand is a unique smaller bug zapper that actually plugs directly into a socket. This is highly convenient and great for controlling insects in a single room. The one-year warranty that this brand offers on its products will help ease your mind that they really believe in their own quality and longevity. The best part is that these bug zappers are very affordable even for those on a tight budget.
Also available from this brand is a unique smaller bug zapper that actually plugs directly into a socket. This is highly convenient and great for controlling insects in a single room.
The one-year warranty that this brand offers on its products will help ease your mind that they really believe in their own quality and longevity. The best part is that these bug zappers are very affordable even for those on a tight budget.
#4 – LIBA
- Makes bug zappers designed for indoor use
- Powerful 2800 volt grid used
- Easy-to-clean collection trays
- Options with chains for convenient hanging
- Offered in multipacks
- Purchases include replacement bulbs
They believe strongly in providing equal opportunity for children in their community. That is why the company donates 10% of their yearly profits to benefiting children.
One type of the innovative products they create is, of course, bug zappers! These are more indoor bug zappers that are designed to take care of flying insects that make it into your home.
LIBA bug zappers take advantage of a powerful 2800 volt grid that instantly eliminates flying insects that approach it.
Expand To See More During the designing stage, LIBA ensured that their zappers include super easy-to-clean collection trays to make clean-up a stress-free event. Their bug zappers include chains for the option of convenient hanging for space-saving purposes. They also include extra replacement bulbs with all purchases to increase the longevity of your purchase. They even come in multipacks allowing you to place them in multiple parts of your home. These are even cost-effective coming in near the lower middle range of price compared to other options. This does take into account the fact that they are sold in pairs rather than individually.
During the designing stage, LIBA ensured that their zappers include super easy-to-clean collection trays to make clean-up a stress-free event.
Their bug zappers include chains for the option of convenient hanging for space-saving purposes. They also include extra replacement bulbs with all purchases to increase the longevity of your purchase.
They even come in multipacks allowing you to place them in multiple parts of your home. These are even cost-effective coming in near the lower middle range of price compared to other options.
This does take into account the fact that they are sold in pairs rather than individually.
#5 – Aspectek
- Offers a selection of indoor bug zappers
- Options up to 40 watts
- Residential and commercial options available
- Replacement bulbs included with some purchases
- Coverage up to 1 acre
- Also sells various trap types for fleas, wasps, flies, bed bugs, and more
The company was first founded in February of 2006 and holds headquarters in Vancouver, Canada.
One of their top goals besides creating effective and innovative products is providing the highest quality customer service possible. They sell both residential and commercial bug zappers with coverage up to 1 acre.
Expand To See More
Their offerings include a variety of indoor bug zappers up to 40 watts. Some purchases include replacement bulbs, while additional bulbs are also easily available for separate purchase.
You can choose options that include chains allowing you to easily hang the zapper. In addition to their bug zappers, Aspectek also offers a variety of insect traps including options for fleas, wasps, flies, bed bugs, and more.
Aspectek also works to keep their products affordable for the average person. They fall around the same spot in the price range for these products as LIBA bug zappers.
Bug Zappers Comparison Table
|Zappers||Options||Special Features||Customer Ratings|
|Flowtron||Wide variety of outdoor bug zappers||Indoor options available||Sells brackets and poles for easy placement||4.3 / 5.0 Stars|
|Black Flag||Good selection of small residential bug zappers||Variety of handheld options||Sells a variety of other insect control products||4.0 / 5.0 Stars|
|Dekugaa||Bug zappers designed for indoor use||Wall-plug options available||Options covering up to 35 square meters||5.0 / 5.0 Stars|
|LIBA||Makes bug zappers designed for indoor use||Options with chains for convenient hanging||Powerful 2800 volt grid used||4.4 / 5.0 Stars|
|Aspectek||Offers a selection of indoor bug zappers||Residential and commercial options available||Options up to 40 watts||4.3 / 5.0 Stars|
How to Shop for Bug Zappers
The best way to control all kinds of unwanted flying insects around your home or business is by using electric bug killers, also know as “bug zappers”.
In this article we review and compare the best bug zappers on the market based on overall sales and customer ratings.
Mosquitoes and flies pose a particular inconvenience to homeowners. So the products we reviewed are best in the categories of electric mosquito killer and electric fly killer.
In this side-by-side product review Outside Pursuits leads you through everything you need to know in order to compare and choose the best bug zapper for your specific needs and home environment.
These are reliable, effective bug killers that are able to control populations of several types of flying insects.
Before you venture out into the wonderful world of electric bug zappers, there are several things you need to consider first. I have made a list of four items to think about.
After much research and deliberation, I was finally able to narrow down the dozens to five. These 5 bug zappers are what I consider to be the best on the market.
Since we all have different bug zapping needs, there is a variety of shapes, styles, and purposes. I also made sure to include a few for indoor use and a few for outdoor use. Let’s get started with the outdoor zappers first.
I also want to explain why all bug zappers are not created equal and why the light is very important to attracting to pesky critters.
Outdoor bug zappers are what you would place on your patio, in the garden, and near the swimming pool to keep the insects away from you and your family.
They tend to be weather-proof and will not rust or become damaged if they get wet. I have a list of three that I consider worthy of being called the best bug zappers.
Types of Bug Zappers
Beyond outdoor versus indoor there are four primary types of bug zappers: vertical, horizontal, light bulb and non-luminescent.
Vertical Zappers are nice because they can be made waterproof. That means they can be left outside. Usually, they are structured with a non-metallic exterior to help prevent people and pets from being electrocuted.
This is the best design for outside use like near the pool or around the patio.
Horizontal zappers are usually found for interior use as they can’t really be made waterproof. They usually look like a metal box but instead of having every side closed, there is wire mesh on the front to allow the bugs to see the light and enter to their eternity.
Light Bulb Zappers
Light bulb zappers are what they say, a light bulb that you can screw into a normal light bulb socket. These are usually for external use like in an enclosed area where they won’t get rained on.
They do emit a small amount of light so they can be used to replace or used with other porch lights. And they will zap the insect attracted to it.
But it doesn’t have any wire mesh or non-metallic casing for catching the dead insects or protecting people and animals so it is best not to put it in reach of these things.
Non-luminescent zappers do not use a light source to attract insects. In fact, they use a high pitched sound that humans cannot hear to scare off the insects.
This means that they don’t actually zap or kill the insects, they just ward them off from the area surrounding the device.
Most bug zapper will have a light source. This is because insects are naturally drawn to light. For this reason, you will want to keep the bug zapper away from the location that you don’t want the bugs because they must be attracted before they are zapped.
Typically, there are three types of lights used in bug zappers. Neon and Ultra Violate or UV are very common. Though insects can actually see UV lights best, making it the most common option.
The third type is a mercury vapor lamp which essentially produces light by burning mercury. It is confined in a glass tube so it is not harmful to people. But it will attract and lap flying bugs, especially at night.
Wire mesh is how the bugs get zapped. One to two layers of wire mesh are formed around the light source. When the bugs fly toward the light, they meet the wire mesh first and that is when they get zapped.
Make sure when you buy your bug zapper, it has high voltage wire mesh for the best defense against those nasty insects trying to ruin our party.
Housing refers to the exterior design of the bug zapper. The biggest thing to consider with housing is safety. The better and safer zappers usually have a plastic or non-metallic exterior to help keep people and pets safe from electrocution.
The second thing to consider with housing is whether or not it is waterproof. If you want to use the zapper outside in the elements, it needs to be waterproof in case of sudden rainstorms.
Not all bug zappers are meant for outdoor use so make sure the model you purchase is if you want to use it outside
Most bug zappers emit some kind of sound. There is usually a humming sound when it is running. This is because of the electricity running through the wire mesh.
And usually, when a bug gets zapped, it makes a popping sound. There shouldn’t be any sparking but there is normally a sound.
When shopping for bug zappers, it is probably a good idea to look for one that is as quiet as possible.
Reading product reviews and things like that from customers who have already purchased it will give you a good idea of the noise level of the zapper while it is turned on and when it zaps a bug.
Bug Zapper FAQs
Do bug zappers really work?
Yes, the short answer is bug zappers do work. They use a special UV light and sometimes certain scents or chemicals that attract flying insects into an electrified grid. The bug flies in, completes the circuit, and is electrocuted resulting in instant killing of the bug.
Do bug zappers attract mosquitoes?
Some bug zappers do attract mosquitoes while others do not specifically attract mosquitoes. You can look for this with individual bug zappers that you are considering for purchase. Remember that even if they don’t specifically attract a certain flying insect, they will still likely eliminate some of them if they are in the area.
What bugs do bug zappers attract?
Different bug zappers are designed to attract different flying insects. Most bug zappers claim to attract a specific set of insects such as mosquitoes, flies, gnats, and other biting insects that fly. You can look at individual bug zappers to see what insects they are most effective against.
Do bug zappers make a difference?
Absolutely! There are thousands of consumers that agree that bug zappers have made a huge difference for them. A good bug zapper will successfully reduce the population of flying insects in any given area. In some cases, they can nearly eliminate it altogether. This works by killing off adults before they are able to successfully breed.
Is it safe to use in the kitchen and near food?
Here is an interesting fact, these bug zappers can actually splatters the insects’ remains up to 6 feet away from the initial zapping location.
In other words, it is not advisable to hang on above your dining room table. Ideally, you will keep it at a safe distance where the bugs will be attracted to the zapper and away from your family and food.
Are electric insect killers 110V or 220V?
This depends on the specific bug zapper. Some are suitable for both. But it is important to make sure they are suitable for the voltage you are using.
The standard in North America is 120v so the 110v is what you need. If you use 220v you will need a converter so you don’t short-circuit the zapper or blow a fuse.
What kind of bugs will a bug zapper kill?
Most bug zappers are effective against gnats and flies for sure. Though mosquitoes are not attracted to UV lights, if they are in your yard, they will most likely be zapped by your zapper.
Bees, wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, and horseflies are also usually attracted to the light source.
Other insects like moths, and even ants, and centipedes that don’t fly are attracted to the light and will be zapped. You can also add things like specific insect pheromones to attract them to the light.
Do they make bug zappers that don’t make sounds every time an insect dies?
Not really, not unless you are using something to repel the bugs instead of zap them. The zapping sound is caused by the electrical current jumping from the wire mesh to the insect which is what kills the insect.
Kind of like when you wear socks and walk across the carpet and touch a metal doorknob. But some are significantly quieter than others. If the sound bothers you, try keeping further away from the area you are most of the time.
It will still attract the insects, even if it is farther away from you.
What is the range that the bug zapper reaches?
Different bug zappers have different ranges. Most range from 500 square feet to 1 full acre. There are some that will cover even bigger spaces, closer to 2 acres. But for indoor, 500 square feet is most common. And 1 acre is most common for outdoor zappers.
Bug Zapper – Safety Tips
- Keep bug zappers at a safe distance from food, children, and pets to avoid potential contamination and/or injury.
- Make sure to keep the tray clean. The tray that collects the bugs after they get zapped will need to be cleaned. The frequency depends on the time of year and how big of a pest problem you have. Summer will naturally need to be cleaned more often than winter. If you are constantly using the bug zapper, it is probably a good idea to check it once or twice a week unless you see that it doesn’t need it that often.
- ALWAYS unplug the bug zapper before you clean it. You want the bugs to get zapped, not you.
- Make sure it is mounted properly. Some zappers can sit on the table and be fine while others are designed to be hung from a chain or mounted on a wall. Make sure you get the appropriate design for your situation.
- Don’t use an indoor bug zapper outside and vise versa. This may seem obvious but it is something that is important to remember. Indoor bug zappers aren’t able to withstand the elements.
- Follow all instructions for usage and cleaning. To avoid injuries and fire hazards, read the instructions before using and cleaning the bug zapper. It’s for the safety of you and your family.
Bug zappers come in all shapes and sizes. With different voltages and even methods of attracting those unwanted pesky pests. In the end, to get what you want, you have to know what you want.
Whether you are grilling out in the backyard or you are leaving the doors and windows open on a cool summer night, you have one thing you don’t want to worry about. Insects.
Now that you have a better understanding of what a bug zapper really is, you are ready to go out and start shopping for your own.
A good place to start is certainly the ones on my list and then you can go from there to finding the best bug zapper for your home and yard.
Thanks for reading The 5 Best Bug Zappers. We hope this article has helped you to discover the best electric fly killers and electric mosquito killers for your needs and your preferences.
And if you’re shopping for other gear take a look at these related review articles from Outside Pursuits:
HOME & GARDEN LED GROW LIGHTS | HYDROPONICS SYSTEMS | GROW TENTS | HYDROPONIC NUTRIENTS | HYGROMETERS | SOIL PH METERS | HERB GARDEN KITS | LED LANDSCAPE LIGHTS | LED SOLAR LIGHTS | FOOD DEHYDRATORS | COOLER ICE PACKS | BUG ZAPPERS | WHEELBARROWS | PRUNING SHEARS
Amazon Top 10 Bestsellers – Bug Zappers & Insect Killers
- WORKS ON MOST INSECTS - Bug Zapper control kills most bugs and insects within 1000 sq.ft,Any flying insects are trapped & electrocuted in the electrically-charged high voltage metal grids.
- EFFECTIVE & POWERFUL - With a strong 4200 voltage grid, this mosquito lamp effectively kills insect on contact, and used a 15W UV tube to attract and eliminate even more insects.
- ADVANCED 2-IN-1 BUG ZAPPER AND ATTRACTANT. Keep insects at bay with the US-tested mosquito killer + additional reusable non-toxic attractant to boost work efficiency. A 20W high-intensity ultraviolet lamp attracts all flying insects to the mosquito zapper, instantly killing them with the help of an internal electric grid.
- 2100 SQ. FT. COVERAGE WITH POWERFUL NON-CLOGGING GRID. Impressive 2100 sq. ft. ( acre) coverage and 4200V grid with 3-4 times higher power than alternative bug zappers have provide reliable and effective indoor and backyard bug control.
- Stop Annoyed by Bugs : The fluorescent lamp light & ultraviolet light-emitting bulb lures insects then zaps mosquitoes immediately by 3600~4200v electric shock.
- UV Light : Fit for patio,garden, camping,fishing etc. It will be better for away from the area intended for human activity.
- Advanced Electronic Insect Control,ultraviolet(UV) light units
- 1 Acre Killing Radius, 40-Watt Bulb,the cord is 9” in length,insect traps. Place the unit 25 away from the area intended for human activity. Position the insect killer between the source of insects (woods,lowlands, etc.) and the area to be protected
- PROTECT YOUR YARD FROM PESTS | High-Voltage Outdoor Bug Zapper Acts as Powerful Attractant, Killing Flies, Mosquitoes, Gnats, Wasps, Moths & Other Flying & Biting Insects Upon Contact | Dependable Coverage for Areas Up to ½ Acre
- TWO WAYS TO ZAP AND COLLECT | Versatile Design Allows You to Hang the Lantern Via Provided Ring & Chain or Rest the Sturdy Base on Table or Flat Surface | Great for Backyard BBQ, Camping, Patios, Garage, Deck, Garbage, Picnic Area, Etc.
- PROTECT YOUR YARD FROM PESTS | High-Voltage Outdoor Bug Zapper Acts as Powerful Attractant, Killing Flies, Mosquitoes, Gnats, Wasps, Moths & Other Flying & Biting Insects Upon Contact | Dependable Coverage for Areas Up to 1 Acre
- TWO WAYS TO ZAP AND COLLECT | Versatile Design Allows You to Hang the Lantern Via Provided Ring & Chain or Rest the Sturdy Base on Table or Flat Surface | Great for Outdoor/Indoor Camping, Enclosed Patios, Garage, Deck, Garbage, Etc.
- ULTIMATE OUTDOOR BUG ZAPPER: A mosquito killer for the height of the hot season; fly zapper and outdoor / indoor bug zapper uses 4,000V of electric mosquito killer power to get rid of flying pests this summer
- EXTENDED DEFENSE UP TO 1,500 SQ. FT.: This quiet, weatherproof mosquito lamp and outdoor bug zapper keeps your patio, deck, and outdoor living spaces safe from biting insects
- Advanced electronic insect control; non clogging killing grid; 1/2-acre killing radius, requires plug.
- Recommended not to be used within 25-feet of area intended for human activity, should not be attached to house or deck or other structures
- Huge area of effectiveness: being able to zap mosquitos up to 400 sq ft, suitable for indoor.Please put the device in a dark place for optimal capture.Turn it on three hours before bedtime will have the best effect.Please place the mosquito trap near the wall about 1 meter above the ground.
- Stop Annoyed by Bugs & Mosquitoes: Dekugaa bug zapper emitting 365-390NM wavelength to attract most flying bug such as mosquitos, flies, moth and other insects, and then killing them by the 1000V high-voltage grid.No longer exposed to chemicals, radiation or odor. works well on flying insects such as mosquitoes, gnats, fruit flies, bugs and so on.
- PROFESSIONAL MOSQUITO KILLER：High-Efficiency mosquito killer lamp with light bulb attracts mosquitos, flies, moths, and other insects with the special (365 nm) wavelength to fly to the grid and kill them by 1000 V high-voltage due to its size the effective coverage is about 35 square meters.
- SAFE FOR HUMANS AND PETS: Safe for human and pets, pure physical Insect-Killer, no chemical, no toxic substances. Sturdy and Narrow ABS plastic grid keeps out children, pets and wildlife from touching the high-voltage. No more pesticides or potentially harmful sprays. Our fly light trap helps you avoid the continuing expenses and inconveniences of chemical insecticides.
Last update on 2020-08-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API