We review the 8 top-rated electric scooters in detail and compare them against one another. We also provide you with the listing of the Top 10 Amazon Bestsellers.
In the buyers guide section, How To Choose The Best Electric Scooter For Adults, we will examine and discuss all of these technical factors. What is the best electric scooter for the money?
Best Electric Scooters For Adults
|Segway Ninebot MAX Electric Kick Scooter||Hiboy MAX Electric Scooter||QIEWA QPower Double Motors Style Electric Scooter|
|Length||46 inches||44.5 inches||47.6 inches|
|Weight||42.1 lbs.||34 lbs.||55 lbs.|
|Load Limit||220 pounds||n/a||550 lbs|
|Special Features||One-step folding system, LED display||350-watt motor, 1-second folding||26Ah Lithium-ion, 60 miles range|
|Customer Ratings||4.5 / 5.0 Stars||4 / 5.0 Stars||3.6 / 5.0 Stars|
Quick Answer: The 7 Best-Rated Electric Scooters For Adults
- Segway Ninebot MAX Electric Kick Scooter
- Hiboy MAX Electric Scooter
- QIEWA QPower Double Motors Style Electric Scooter
- Razor E300 Electric Scooter
- Razor E200 Electric Scooter
- GOTRAX GKS Electric Scooter
- Razor E100 Glow Electric Scooter
Features of the Segway Ninebot MAX Electric Kick Scooter
- Length: 46 inches
- Weight: 42.1 pounds
- Load Limit: 220 pounds
- Special Features: One-step folding system, LED display
- Customer Rating: 4.5/5 stars
The Segway Ninebot MAX Electric Kick Scooter may have incredible aesthetics, with its dark grey, matte colorway, but it’s so much more than just looks. It’s designed to make riding a scooter as effortless as possible; perfect for carrying on public transportation or storing in your vehicle just in case. With the ability to reach up to 18.6 MPH and travel up to 40 miles, it’s perfect for quick errands or even longer journeys to work or school.
To ensure you don’t have to always be recharging the battery, the Smart Battery Management System has you covered, extending its life and safety. If you’re always hurrying to catch the bus or metro, you’ll be able to take advantage of the one-step folding system. This system makes it possible to fold up the scooter in just 3 seconds, into a compact, easy-to-carry size.
Whether you’re brand-new at riding scooters or a seasoned pro, safety is the top priority. The mechanical and electrical anti-lock braking system makes sure when you can stop on a dime. To ensure you always see what’s in your path, a 2.5W LED front headlight is there, with an automatic rear brake light to warn anyone behind you.
Front and rear wheel shock absorbers offer a smoother ride with less fatigue and soreness, along with self-healing, 10-inch pneumatic tires. These tires work well on a variety of surfaces, from gravel to smooth pavement and speed bumps.
Keep in mind the Ninebot MAX isn’t just any regular scooter. It comes with cutting edge technology, such as Bluetooth, cruise control, select riding modes, mobile app connectivity, and so much more. You can easily and quickly see all stats on the LED display in-between the handlebars.
Features of the Hiboy MAX Electric Scooter
- Length: 44.5 inches
- Weight: 34 pounds
- Load Limit: n/a
- Special Features: 350-watt motor, 1-second folding
- Customer Rating: 4/5 stars
Looking like something from the future, the Hiboy MAX Electric Scooter is sure to turn some heads. Its all-black color scheme combined with the modern technology every step of the way will have all your friends and passersby wanting one.
Featuring an upgraded 350-watt motor, it’s one of the most powerful on the market today. Just like with the Ninebot, it can reach up to an impressive 18.6 MPH max speed, with a range of 17 miles, and can handle up to 15% hills. While it doesn’t go for as long as the Ninebot, it’s still perfect for anything you could need it for.
We loved the one-step fold design with foot-actuated folding which collapses in an instant, making it perfect for getting on public transportation stress-free. The lighter weight and compact design also allows for one-handed carrying, so you can always have a hand free to carry your backpack or laptop case.
Made with adult bodies in mind, the adult scooter features wider foot pedals with an anti-slip surface that makes it perfect for riding around water. The dual headlights are great for riding at night, while the bright LED display will always show you your stats, no matter the time of day. However, you can also simply check your smartphone when it’s connected to the scooter with Bluetooth. Active cruise control and other riding stats are available right from your device.
As was expected, the ride was always very smooth, thanks to a top-notch front shock absorber and a double braking system. The 8.5” tires are anti-slip and also absorb shock, making your experience comfortable and safe. Finally, to finish things off, they added in cool blue LED lights along the sides of the footplate to increase visibility to motorists and pedestrians.
Features of the Qiewa Q1Hummer 800Watts Electric Scooter
- Best For: Commute & casual riding, all terrain, rough & durable, long range, good wheels
- Size & Weight:5″ x 9.8″ x 47.6″, 55 lbs
- Load Limit: 550 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: 10″ high profile pneumatic tires, dual disc brakes, 45° double shock protection
- Motor & Speed: 800W brushless motor, 35 mph top
- Battery & Range: 26Ah Lithium-ion, 60 miles range
- Extras: Aluminum alloy, IP65 waterproof, throttle with display, foldable, anti-theft warning, front & brake light, USB charging. A great electric scooter with seat for adults.
The Q1Hummer can take a maximum load of 550 lbs. The heart is an 800W brushless motor with a top speed of 35 miles per hour. The lithium-ion battery has a high capacity of 26Ah, which gives you a range of 60+ miles before you need to recharge. While riding, a USB plug allows you to charge a mobile device from the battery.
The 10” pneumatic tires feature a good profile and come with 45° double shock protection for smooth rides in all terrain. You also get a safe and reliable disc brake on both wheels for excellent stopping power.
The e-scooter has a weight of 55 lbs and can be folded within seconds to the compact dimensions of 3 odd feet, which allows you to take it on public transportation or put it in the back of your car. The body is furnished from durable aluminum alloy and the scooter is IP65 waterproof.
The throttle on the handlebar features a display to advise you of your current speed. The scooter includes front and brake lights. For safety, it can only be started with an anti-theft device and will sound an alarm when tampers with it.
Qiewa Q1Hummer is a powerful electric scooter that is both fun and safe to ride with a variety of different use cases. This e-scooter does not include a seat, but you can purchase a separate detachable seat for the Qiewa Q1Hummer. Its weight capacity and optional seat make it arguably the best electric scooter for adults.
And if you’re seeking a “daily driver” that you can take to and from your workplace this is probably also the best commuter scooter.
Features of the Razor E300 Electric Scooter
- Best For: Fun & leisure rides, short errands
- Size & Weight: 41″ x 17″ x 42″, 46 lbs
- Load Limit: 220 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: 10″ pneumatic tires, rear brake
- Motor & Speed: High torque chain-driven motor, 15 mph top
- Battery & Range: 24V SLA battery, 40 mins riding, 12 hours charge time
- Extras: Super-sized steel deck, frame & fork, twist-grip throttle, foldable, retractable kickstand
The scooter features a nice and wide deck and is suitable for a load of up to 220 lbs. It is driven by a high torque chain motor of unspecified power which can reach a top speed of 15 miles per hour. It’s slightly louder than our top model. Razor uses two sealed lead acid batteries of unknown capacity, which will give you around 40 minutes of riding time. A drawback is the longer charging time of the battery.
This electric scooter is straightforward to use with a twist-grip throttle and hand-operated rear brake. There are no frills: you get a kickstand, but no speedometer, no battery charge indicator and no lights. All that is well for endless hours of fun, and the scooter is light enough to revert to muscle-powered kicking should the battery run out. Apart from shorter errands, daily commutes are out of the question.
That being said, the wide pneumatic 10” tires make for comfortable rides, and at the incredibly low price tag, casual riders will be happy with this highly affordable e-scooter.
Features of the Razor E200 Electric Scooter
- Best For: Teenagers, short rides, small errands
- Size & Weight: 37″ x 16″ x 42″, 38.7 lbs
- Load Limit: 154 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: 8″ pneumatic tires, rear brake
- Motor & Speed: High torque chain-driven motor, 12 mph top
- Battery & Range: 24V SLA battery, 40 minutes run time, up to 12 hours charge time
- Extras: Full-size deck, steel frame & fork, kickstand
The maximum rider weight is 154 lbs, and the scooter features a full-sized deck for comfortable rides. The durable construction relies on a steel frame and fork, and you also get a convenient kickstand. You control the speed with the easy-to-use twist-grip throttle, and the hand-operated rear brake provides safe stops.
Razor doesn’t specify the exact power of the motor, just that it’s a high torque chain-driven model. Top speed is 12 miles per hour. The 8” pneumatic tires are a good compromise between smooth rides and the ability for smaller riders to balance out the scooter. The foldable Razor E200 weight nearly 40 pounds.
Depending on your weight, riding speed and the terrain, you can get about 40 minutes of riding time, or roughly 5 miles. A disadvantage is the sealed lead acid battery, which can take up to 12 hours to charge back up.
Apart from that, the Razor E200 electric scooter is an absolute bargain for fun rides. You can get just the scooter, or a bundle with a helmet or both helmet and protective pads.
Features of the GOTRAX Glider Electric Scooter
- Best For: Portability, city errands, shorter rides, fast charging
- Size & Weight:3″ x 36.2″ x 14.4″, 17.1 lbs
- Load Limit: 264 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: Small tires, hand-operated front brake, rear foot brake for backup
- Motor & Speed: 250W chain-driven motor, 2 gears, 17 mph top, 12° hill climbing
- Battery & Range:2Ah 24V lithium-ion battery, 9 miles range, 3 hours charge time
- Extras: IP55 waterproof, LED headlight, display, kickstart
The scooter comes with a maximum load limit of 264 lbs, impressive for such a light-weight model. Heavier riders will impede top speed and range. The Gotrax glider features a kickstart, which is why the minimum rider weight needs to be 88 lbs. With folded dimensions of 39.3” x 14.4” x 6.2”, the scooter is very compact and only weighs 17.1 lbs.
A 250W chain-driven motor powers the e-scooter, and you can switch between two gears. Top speed is around 17 miles per hour, and you can climb a 12° inclination. The 5.2Ah lithium-ion battery lasts for about 9 miles and charges rapidly within 3 hours. The scooter features small tires for agility and tight turns. A hand-operated front brake decelerates, while you also have a rear foot brake for emergencies.
The display in the middle of the handlebar will show your current speed and the remaining battery power. The scooter is IP55 waterproof and there suited for light rain. An LED headlight will brightly illuminate your path. The Gotrax Glider is available in black, pink and red and is a zippy and compact model for short commutes.
Features of the Razor E100 Glow Electric Scooter
- Best For: Age 8+, short rides
- Size & Weight: 35″ x 8.5″ x 17″, 32 lbs
- Load Limit: 120 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: 8″ pneumatic front tire, hand-operated rear brake
- Motor & Speed: High torque chain-driven motor, 10 mph top
- Battery & Range: 24V SLA battery, 40 minutes riding time, up to 12 hours charge time
- Extras: Kid-sized deck & frame, all steel frame & fork, blue light effect, twist-grip throttle, kickstand
The scooter has a load limit of 120 lbs and features a deck sized for kids. The all steel frame and fork construction is durable and safe. A high torque chain-driven motor powers the e-scooter quietly and allows for a top speed of 10 miles per hour. The E100 features an 8” pneumatic front tire and a hand-operated rear-brake for reliable stopping power.
Speed is controlled with a twist-grip throttle, and every time you speed up, blue LEDs light up the deck, a cool and fun effect. The scooter also features a kickstand for parking.
The sealed lead acid battery allows for 40 minutes of continuous riding, yet needs up to 12 hours of recharging. With a weight of 32 lbs, the scooter is relatively lightweight enough to allow for muscle-powered movement without battery.
The Razor E100 is an inexpensive electric scooter for young riders that was constructed with the safety of children in mind. With these features and durability we think the Razor E100 is the best electric scooter for kids.
Best Electric Scooters For Adults Comparison Table
|Length||Weight||Load Limit||Special Features||Customer Ratings|
|Segway Ninebot MAX Electric Kick Scooter||46 inches||42.1 lbs.||220 pounds||One-step folding system, LED display||4.5 / 5.0 Stars|
|Hiboy MAX Electric Scooter||44.5 inches||34 lbs.||n/a||350-watt motor, 1-second folding||4 / 5.0 Stars|
|QIEWA QPower Double Motors Style Electric Scooter||42 inches||55 lbs.||550 lbs||26Ah Lithium-ion, 60 miles range||3.6 / 5.0 Stars|
|Razor E300 Electric Scooter||41 inches||46 lbs||220 lbs||24V SLA battery, 40 mins riding||3.8 / 5.0 Stars|
|Razor E200 Electric Scooter||37 inches||38.7 lbs||154 lbs||24V SLA battery, 40 minutes run time||4.4 / 5.0 Stars|
|GOTRAX GKS Electric Scooter||39.3 inches||17.1 lbs||264 lbs||2Ah 24V lithium-ion battery, 9 miles range||4.5 / 5.0 Stars|
|Razor E100 Glow Electric Scooter||35 inches||32 lbs||120 lbs||24V SLA battery, 40 minutes riding time||4.4 / 5.0 Stars|
How to Choose the Best Electric Scooter For Adults
In this article we review and compare the 8 top-rated electric scooters from the brands that have achieved top honors in the industry for performance, quality, affordability and user ratings. We’ve compiled an overview of the best electric scooters.
But it’s not simply a case of picking the fastest and longest range scooter. There are different types of scooters available, made from different materials, with features and options like wheel types, platform size, shocks, freehubs, braking format, wheelbase etc.
You should have some idea of how you want to use your electric scooter. If you have longer rides in mind, for example for commuting to work, pay attention to the range and battery capacity.
A more powerful motor is needed if you either want to go fast or have a lot of hills to climb.
One model comes with a seat, others can be retrofitted with one. In our guide, we’ll explain the most important deciding factors for e-scooters.
For each model in our top selection, we’ve specified the areas where the individual scooter excels. Two models in our electric scooter reviews are particularly well-suited for younger riders. Some are more recreational, while the top choices can also be used for commuting.
Motor & Speed
The power of the scooter’s motor will influence the possible top speed. If you’re using sidewalks and bike paths, a high top speed is not a necessity. If you’re using the road, make sure to follow local laws and restrictions. A powerful motor also allows you to climb steep hills.
Most scooters use a chain-driven engine, similar to a bicycle setup. Some models have several gears for various speeds and climbing ability. Chain-driven engines are sturdy and efficient. A scooter for commuting has to be durable and fast.
Battery & Range
The battery’s capacity will determine how long or far you can ride your e-scooter. A higher capacity also adds weight. In addition, the type of battery influences how fast the scooter will recharge. Cheaper models use sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries, which is basically a car starter battery.
Some models use a deep discharge model, which allows for longer rides. SLA batteries are heavier and have a shorter overall lifespan. A big disadvantage is the charging time of up to 12 hours. Lithium-ion batteries are superior in any way, yet they are more costly.
How to get the most out of your battery:
- Remove when not in use. If you’re storing your scooter for a while, disconnect the battery to prevent a trickle discharge and decay of the battery.
- Fully charge before first use. Consult the manual and follow the instructions, but it’s generally best to make sure the battery has a full charge before your first ride.
- Discharge properly. Electric scooters can come with different battery types, each of which has its own protocol for maximizing battery life. Consult the manual about how far you should discharge your scooter’s battery.
- Don’t overcharge, don’t overheat. Avoid high temperatures to improve the battery’s capacity, and always disconnect the charger when the battery is fully charged.
- As mentioned above each scooter make/model can have a unique and specific battery type and voltage. Therefore, never attach a car battery charger or jump starter to your scooter’s battery in the hopes of charging it. Always use the AC charging adapter and wire harness supplied by the manufacturer.
The electric scooters for higher speeds commonly feature pneumatic tires of 10” or 8” size for comfortable rides and good traction thanks to a high profile. They are broad enough to give you sufficient balance and safe turning. Suspension for the rear or both front and rear will definitely take the shocks out of your rides. It allows you to safely ride over smaller stones, cracks and uneven surfaces.
Scooters with smaller wheels will have no suspension, and those with tiny wheels are mostly safe to ride where you could go with a skateboard or inline skates as well. Be careful with tight turns with these models as they can stall easily.
Size, Weight & Load Limit
The more powerful scooters automatically come with larger dimensions and more weight, so balancing out range and portability will always be a compromise.
Keep in mind that most adult models are not designed for children and can be too difficult to handle. Pay attention to the maximum load limit: if you’re very close, it means your weight will significantly impede range and top speed.
Some minor features can go a long way: a headlight or brake light is certainly useful after dark, and not all models feature a display to indicate your speed or remaining battery power.
The faster models will come with disc brakes, either for the power wheel or for both wheels to allow for safe stops. Adult scooters are not suitable for children. Even with children scooters, go over safety issues with minors and instruct them well on handling.
Only let them ride under supervision until you’re sure they have the vehicle under control at all times. Electric scooters are low-power electric vehicles which travel at speeds that can lead to serious injuries due to falls or crashes. Any rider should at least protect their head with a helmet.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Electric Scooters
Q: How much are electric scooters for adults?
A: They can range anywhere from around $150 to $400. When you go higher in price, you can expect more comfort and stability, along with fun technology like Bluetooth capabilities and cool LED lights.
Q: What is the best electric scooter brand?
A: Qiewa, Segway, and Hiboy are all some of the most respected brands out there. Segway is probably the most recognized due to its cutting edge technology and reliability.
Q: What is the best cheap electric scooter?
A: Any of the aforementioned products are great selections.
Q: Is it worth buying an electric scooter?
A: Definitely. It costs minimal physical effort to ride one, so you can arrive to your destination feeling refreshed. They’re safe, and comfortable and even come with Bluetooth technology to constantly monitor your stats.
Q: How does an electric scooter work?
A: Electric scooters feature a construction similar to regular scooters that are powered by kicking and muscle energy, except that they have a battery and motor. You control speed and braking with controls on the handlebar.
Q: What are the advantages of electric scooters?
A: They are very compact and lightweight and can be folded easily. They’re ideal for quick errands and short inner-city commutes and allow you to easily maneuver. Electric scooters don’t rely on fossil fuels and are free of emissions. You’re flexible because you can bring a scooter on public transportation.
Q: How fast can electric scooters go?
A: The speed can vary with each model and depends on the terrain and weight of the rider. Some scooters go only as fast as 10 miles per hour, while other models go as fast as 30 miles per hour.
Q: Can you ride uphill with an e-scooter?
A: Yes, electric scooters can ride uphill, but they vary in how well they handle inclination. Ultimately, their performance is influenced by the power of the motor, the angle, and your weight. You’ll see some manufacturers provide a hill gradient that their scooter can climb.
Q: How do you charge a scooter battery?
A: Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for charging your e-scooter. In most cases, it’s straightforward and as simple as plugging the scooter into a wall outlet without the need to take out the battery first. Charging time varies with the capacity of the battery and the provided charger.
Q: Are electric scooters safe?
A: In general, electric scooters are safe and reliable and don’t tend to turn over much. They can be considered safer than electric skateboards because you have the handlebar for balance and can control speed and braking right there, without a remote. That being said, electric scooters are low-power vehicles that can cause serious accidents with critical injuries. Be alert when riding your scooter, pay attention to your surroundings and limit your speed according to circumstances.
Q: What safety equipment is recommended for electric scooters?
A: Proper safety equipment includes a helmet to protect your head, and protective gloves for your hands. Depending on circumstances, consider protection for your elbows and knees.
Q: Is it legal to ride an electric scooter?
A: Yes, electric scooters are generally legal in the United States, with no federal law prohibiting their use. Yet state laws can vary on the issue and regulate use in bike lanes, in traffic, on the road, for pedestrian crossings etc. Electric scooters are considered low-power electric vehicles, so inform yourself on local statutes and regulations as well as restrictions and license or insurance requirements. Consult your transportation authority on whether e-scooters are street legal in your area.
Electric scooters offer all the fun of the regular kick models while requiring zero effort or muscle power. Young and adult riders can enjoy gliding and cruising, while the more powerful e-scooters are suitable for longer errands or even commutes. Our guide will help you determine which factors are most important for your needs and which model will suit you best. Remember to look at legislation around e-scooters in your area. Safe riding!
Thanks for reading The 8 Best Electric Scooters For Adults Reviewed. We hope this article has helped you to discover the best electric scooter that meets your needs and preferences.
If you have any questions or comments just use this Contact Form.
And if you’re shopping for other gear take a look at these related review articles from Outside Pursuits:
SPORTS & HOBBIES ELECTRIC SCOOTERS | AGGRESSIVE INLINE SKATES | INLINE SPEED SKATES | OUTDOOR BASKETBALLS | OUTDOOR BASKETBALL SHOES | BASKETBALL HOOPS | WATERSPORTS SHOES | PICKLEBALL PADDLES | GOPRO ALTERNATIVES | DRONES FOR GOPRO | INDOOR SOCCER SHOES | COOLER ICE PACKS | 12 VOLT COOLERS | CAMPING AIR MATTRESSES | WATERPROOF BACKPACKS | WATERPROOF BOOTS
Amazon Top 10 Bestsellers
- Two Ways to Have Fun - The GKS can be used as both electric scooter and kick scooter. First put one foot on the front button and kick push the scooter over 1. 8mph, then place the other foot on the gravity sensor to accelerate to 7. 5mph
- Enjoy A Safe Ride - The GKS scooter is easy for your child to master, using the assisted motor the GKS smoothly accelerates. Lifting your foot from back gravity sensor to slow down and then put your foot on the rear brake to realize safe stop
- 24V (two 12V) sealed lead acid rechargeable battery system
- Twist-grip acceleration control and ages 8 and up; Handlebar: Height 22 (552 mm)
- Innovative Portable Folding Design - The XR Ultra Commuting Scooter equipped with One-step folding system for portability. Aluminum material to enhance the stability, and a special Red Safety Button to protect the handlebar from folding while riding
- Long-range Electric Scooter - High capacity LG Battery 7.0AH with a maximum travel range of up to 17 miles under optimum conditions. Our Smart Battery Management System ensures the battery safety, and extends the battery life
- SIT AND RIDE – Soft padded seat and wide bamboo deck make for plenty of foot room and a cushy, stylish rid
- SMOOTH HANDLING – Air-filled 16" tires (406 mm) provide a smoother, safer ride on uneven terrain. Comfortable, twist-grip hand throttle and hand brake provide ease of control
- POWERFUL MOTOR AND LONG BATTERY LIFE - The 350W electric brushless hub motor allows for speeds up to 18mph. High capacity battery with a Max. travel range of up to 17 miles under specific conditions.
- STABLE AND DURABLE FOR COMMUTING - Extremely smooth when accelerating and turning, Hiboy electric scooters have been made solid and durable quality with solid tires and whole frame.
- All steel frame and fork construction. Front Wheel: 200 mm pneumatic front tire
- Features kick start, high-torque, chain-driven motor, twist-grip acceleration control and hand operated front brake
- ✔[Powerful 250W Motor] - Powerful 250w motor drives the e-scooter at a maximum speed of 15mph under certain conditions. Toggle between saving power mode and normal power mode. Saving power mode propels the scooter at a max speed of 9.32mph. While normal power mode propels it at a high speed of 15mph. Effortlessly climb up to 11 degree inclines.
- ✔[Distance Range] - With 7500mAh Battery, Reach incredible distance of 15 miles under certain conditions on a single trip. Head out to class, work or grab a coffee downtown. Fully recharge the battery in just 2-3 hours. Quickly get back out on the road to your next destination.
- MADE FOR TEENS AND ADULTS - With 250W motor, the Hiboy S2 Lite Electric Scooter allows for speeds up to 13 mph, range up to 10.6 miles, climb a 15% grade hill and max load of 180 lbs.
- COOL AND UNIQUE - The elegant front cool light makes the Hiboy S2 Lite electric scooter unique and cooler than other scooters you have ever seen.
- Features an all-steel frame and fork for a solid ride that stands up to rugged use
- With its super-sized deck and frame, the Razor E300 electric scooter is ready to roll for teen and adult riders up to 220 pounds (100 kg)
- ELEGANT CORDLESS DESIGN - Simple designs tend to be timeless. Hiboy NEX scooter is designed as cordless, simple and modern, which makes it a stylish scooter in the market. Have fun with your NEX scooter!
- POWERFUL RWD MOTOR - A 250W brushless motor, propels the NEX scooter to a max speed of 13 MPH, travels up to 11 miles and conquer 15% hills. The motor on the rear wheel achieves a faster start, smooth turning and stable riding.
Last update on 2020-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API