We review the 6 top-rated electric scooters in detail and compare them against one another. We also provide you with the listing of the Top 10 Amazon Bestsellers.
In the buyers guide section, How To Choose The Best Electric Scooter For Adults, we will examine and discuss all of these technical factors. What is the best electric scooter for the money?
Best Electric Scooters For Adults
Quick Answer: The 6 Best-Rated Electric Scooters For Adults
- Qiewa Q1Hummer 800Watts Electric Scooter
- Razor E300 Electric Scooter
- Super Turbo 1000 Watt Elite 36V Electric Scooter
- Razor E200 Electric Scooter
- GOTRAX Glider Electric Scooter
- Razor E100 Glow Electric Scooter
Features of the Qiewa Q1Hummer 800Watts Electric Scooter
- Best For: Commute & casual riding, all terrain, rough & durable, long range, good wheels
- Size & Weight:5″ x 9.8″ x 47.6″, 55 lbs
- Load Limit: 550 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: 10″ high profile pneumatic tires, dual disc brakes, 45° double shock protection
- Motor & Speed: 800W brushless motor, 35 mph top
- Battery & Range: 26Ah Lithium-ion, 60 miles range
- Extras: Aluminum alloy, IP65 waterproof, throttle with display, foldable, anti-theft warning, front & brake light, USB charging. A great electric scooter with seat for adults.
The Q1Hummer can take a maximum load of 550 lbs. The heart is an 800W brushless motor with a top speed of 35 miles per hour. The lithium-ion battery has a high capacity of 26Ah, which gives you a range of 60+ miles before you need to recharge. While riding, a USB plug allows you to charge a mobile device from the battery.
The 10” pneumatic tires feature a good profile and come with 45° double shock protection for smooth rides in all terrain. You also get a safe and reliable disc brake on both wheels for excellent stopping power.
The e-scooter has a weight of 55 lbs and can be folded within seconds to the compact dimensions of 3 odd feet, which allows you to take it on public transportation or put it in the back of your car. The body is furnished from durable aluminum alloy and the scooter is IP65 waterproof.
The throttle on the handlebar features a display to advise you of your current speed. The scooter includes front and brake lights. For safety, it can only be started with an anti-theft device and will sound an alarm when tampers with it.
Qiewa Q1Hummer is a powerful electric scooter that is both fun and safe to ride with a variety of different use cases. This e-scooter does not include a seat, but you can purchase a separate detachable seat for the Qiewa Q1Hummer. Its weight capacity and optional seat make it arguably the best electric scooter for adults.
And if you’re seeking a “daily driver” that you can take to and from your workplace this is probably also the best commuter scooter.
Features of the Razor E300 Electric Scooter
- Best For: Fun & leisure rides, short errands
- Size & Weight: 41″ x 17″ x 42″, 46 lbs
- Load Limit: 220 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: 10″ pneumatic tires, rear brake
- Motor & Speed: High torque chain-driven motor, 15 mph top
- Battery & Range: 24V SLA battery, 40 mins riding, 12 hours charge time
- Extras: Super-sized steel deck, frame & fork, twist-grip throttle, foldable, retractable kickstand
The scooter features a nice and wide deck and is suitable for a load of up to 220 lbs. It is driven by a high torque chain motor of unspecified power which can reach a top speed of 15 miles per hour. It’s slightly louder than our top model. Razor uses two sealed lead acid batteries of unknown capacity, which will give you around 40 minutes of riding time. A drawback is the longer charging time of the battery.
This electric scooter is straightforward to use with a twist-grip throttle and hand-operated rear brake. There are no frills: you get a kickstand, but no speedometer, no battery charge indicator and no lights. All that is well for endless hours of fun, and the scooter is light enough to revert to muscle-powered kicking should the battery run out. Apart from shorter errands, daily commutes are out of the question.
That being said, the wide pneumatic 10” tires make for comfortable rides, and at the incredibly low price tag, casual riders will be happy with this highly affordable e-scooter.
Features of the Super Turbo 1000 Watt Elite 36V Electric Scooter
- Best For: Seated riding, commuting, rough & rugged terrain, long range
- Size & Weight: 42″ x 46″ x 12″, 92 lbs
- Load Limit: 250 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: All terrain pneumatic tires, front & rear disc brakes, mono shock & dual rear adjustable shock suspension
- Motor & Speed: 1000W drive-chain brushed 3000 rpm motor, 27 mph top
- Battery & Range: 12Ah 36V SLA battery, 10-18 miles range, 6-8 hours charge time
- Extras: High-tensile steel frame, removable seat included, LED headlight, eco & turbo mode, turn-key ignition, includes foldable electric scooter storage bag
This scooter is powerful: the 1000W drive-chain motor runs at 3000 rpm and delivers a top speed of up to 26 miles per hour. The vehicle’s load limit is 250 lbs. The included battery has a capacity of 12Ah and gives you 10 to 18 miles of range. Because it’s a sealed lead acid model, charging takes between 6 to 8 hours.
You get wide and profiled all terrain pneumatic tires and front and rear disc brakes for safe stopping power. There is mono shock suspension in the front and dual adjustable rear shocks.
The scooter can be folded to make a portable electric scooter of compact dimensions. And a storage bag is already included. Other extras are a front LED and a turn-key ignition, which prevents accidental starts.
A great feature is the ability to switch between an economy and turbo mode, so you can either conserve battery power or go for top speed when attacking hilly terrain. This electric scooter comes with tools and needs little assembly. Tail lights and mirrors are available separately. You can choose between black, green and red for the e-scooter. In summary, the Super Turbo Elite electric scooter is a solid, reliable choice for a medium price
Features of the Razor E200 Electric Scooter
- Best For: Teenagers, short rides, small errands
- Size & Weight: 37″ x 16″ x 42″, 38.7 lbs
- Load Limit: 154 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: 8″ pneumatic tires, rear brake
- Motor & Speed: High torque chain-driven motor, 12 mph top
- Battery & Range: 24V SLA battery, 40 minutes run time, up to 12 hours charge time
- Extras: Full-size deck, steel frame & fork, kickstand
The maximum rider weight is 154 lbs, and the scooter features a full-sized deck for comfortable rides. The durable construction relies on a steel frame and fork, and you also get a convenient kickstand. You control the speed with the easy-to-use twist-grip throttle, and the hand-operated rear brake provides safe stops.
Razor doesn’t specify the exact power of the motor, just that it’s a high torque chain-driven model. Top speed is 12 miles per hour. The 8” pneumatic tires are a good compromise between smooth rides and the ability for smaller riders to balance out the scooter. The foldable Razor E200 weight nearly 40 pounds.
Depending on your weight, riding speed and the terrain, you can get about 40 minutes of riding time, or roughly 5 miles. A disadvantage is the sealed lead acid battery, which can take up to 12 hours to charge back up.
Apart from that, the Razor E200 electric scooter is an absolute bargain for fun rides. You can get just the scooter, or a bundle with a helmet or both helmet and protective pads.
Features of the GOTRAX Glider Electric Scooter
- Best For: Portability, city errands, shorter rides, fast charging
- Size & Weight:3″ x 36.2″ x 14.4″, 17.1 lbs
- Load Limit: 264 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: Small tires, hand-operated front brake, rear foot brake for backup
- Motor & Speed: 250W chain-driven motor, 2 gears, 17 mph top, 12° hill climbing
- Battery & Range:2Ah 24V lithium-ion battery, 9 miles range, 3 hours charge time
- Extras: IP55 waterproof, LED headlight, display, kickstart
The scooter comes with a maximum load limit of 264 lbs, impressive for such a light-weight model. Heavier riders will impede top speed and range. The Gotrax glider features a kickstart, which is why the minimum rider weight needs to be 88 lbs. With folded dimensions of 39.3” x 14.4” x 6.2”, the scooter is very compact and only weighs 17.1 lbs.
A 250W chain-driven motor powers the e-scooter, and you can switch between two gears. Top speed is around 17 miles per hour, and you can climb a 12° inclination. The 5.2Ah lithium-ion battery lasts for about 9 miles and charges rapidly within 3 hours. The scooter features small tires for agility and tight turns. A hand-operated front brake decelerates, while you also have a rear foot brake for emergencies.
The display in the middle of the handlebar will show your current speed and the remaining battery power. The scooter is IP55 waterproof and there suited for light rain. An LED headlight will brightly illuminate your path. The Gotrax Glider is available in black, pink and red and is a zippy and compact model for short commutes.
Features of the Razor E100 Glow Electric Scooter
- Best For: Age 8+, short rides
- Size & Weight: 35″ x 8.5″ x 17″, 32 lbs
- Load Limit: 120 lbs
- Wheels / Tires: 8″ pneumatic front tire, hand-operated rear brake
- Motor & Speed: High torque chain-driven motor, 10 mph top
- Battery & Range: 24V SLA battery, 40 minutes riding time, up to 12 hours charge time
- Extras: Kid-sized deck & frame, all steel frame & fork, blue light effect, twist-grip throttle, kickstand
The scooter has a load limit of 120 lbs and features a deck sized for kids. The all steel frame and fork construction is durable and safe. A high torque chain-driven motor powers the e-scooter quietly and allows for a top speed of 10 miles per hour. The E100 features an 8” pneumatic front tire and a hand-operated rear-brake for reliable stopping power.
Speed is controlled with a twist-grip throttle, and every time you speed up, blue LEDs light up the deck, a cool and fun effect. The scooter also features a kickstand for parking. The sealed lead acid battery allows for 40 minutes of continuous riding, yet needs up to 12 hours of recharging. With a weight of 32 lbs, the scooter is relatively lightweight enough to allow for muscle-powered movement without battery.
The Razor E100 is an inexpensive electric scooter for young riders that was constructed with the safety of children in mind. With these features and durability we think the Razor E100 is the best electric scooter for kids.
How to Choose the Best Electric Scooter For Adults
- Motor & Speed
- Battery & Range
- Size, Weight & Load Limit
In this article we review and compare the 6 top-rated electric scooters from the brands that have achieved top honors in the industry for performance, quality, affordability and user ratings. We’ve compiled an overview of the best electric scooters.
But it’s not simply a case of picking the fastest and longest range scooter. There are different types of scooters available, made from different materials, with features and options like wheel types, platform size, shocks, freehubs, braking format, wheelbase etc.
You should have some idea of how you want to use your electric scooter. If you have longer rides in mind, for example for commuting to work, pay attention to the range and battery capacity. A more powerful motor is needed if you either want to go fast or have a lot of hills to climb.
One model comes with a seat, others can be retrofitted with one. In our guide, we’ll explain the most important deciding factors for e-scooters.
For each model in our top selection, we’ve specified the areas where the individual scooter excels. Two models in our electric scooter reviews are particularly well-suited for younger riders. Some are more recreational, while the top choices can also be used for commuting.
Motor & Speed
The power of the scooter’s motor will influence the possible top speed. If you’re using sidewalks and bike paths, a high top speed is not a necessity. If you’re using the road, make sure to follow local laws and restrictions. A powerful motor also allows you to climb steep hills.
Most scooters use a chain-driven engine, similar to a bicycle setup. Some models have several gears for various speeds and climbing ability. Chain-driven engines are sturdy and efficient. A scooter for commuting has to be durable and fast.
Battery & Range
The battery’s capacity will determine how long or far you can ride your e-scooter. A higher capacity also adds weight. In addition, the type of battery influences how fast the scooter will recharge. Cheaper models use sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries, which is basically a car starter battery.
Some models use a deep discharge model, which allows for longer rides. SLA batteries are heavier and have a shorter overall lifespan. A big disadvantage is the charging time of up to 12 hours. Lithium-ion batteries are superior in any way, yet they are more costly.
How to get the most out of your battery:
- Remove when not in use. If you’re storing your scooter for a while, disconnect the battery to prevent a trickle discharge and decay of the battery.
- Fully charge before first use. Consult the manual and follow the instructions, but it’s generally best to make sure the battery has a full charge before your first ride.
- Discharge properly. Electric scooters can come with different battery types, each of which has its own protocol for maximizing battery life. Consult the manual about how far you should discharge your scooter’s battery.
- Don’t overcharge, don’t overheat. Avoid high temperatures to improve the battery’s capacity, and always disconnect the charger when the battery is fully charged.
- As mentioned above each scooter make/model can have a unique and specific battery type and voltage. Therefore, never attach a car battery charger or jump starter to your scooter’s battery in the hopes of charging it. Always use the AC charging adapter and wire harness supplied by the manufacturer.
The electric scooters for higher speeds commonly feature pneumatic tires of 10” or 8” size for comfortable rides and good traction thanks to a high profile. They are broad enough to give you sufficient balance and safe turning. Suspension for the rear or both front and rear will definitely take the shocks out of your rides. It allows you to safely ride over smaller stones, cracks and uneven surfaces.
Scooters with smaller wheels will have no suspension, and those with tiny wheels are mostly safe to ride where you could go with a skateboard or inline skates as well. Be careful with tight turns with these models as they can stall easily.
Size, Weight & Load Limit
The more powerful scooters automatically come with larger dimensions and more weight, so balancing out range and portability will always be a compromise. Keep in mind that most adult models are not designed for children and can be too difficult to handle. Pay attention to the maximum load limit: if you’re very close, it means your weight will significantly impede range and top speed.
Some minor features can go a long way: a headlight or brake light is certainly useful after dark, and not all models feature a display to indicate your speed or remaining battery power. Electric scooters are not entirely waterproof. Most models can withstand a light drizzle, but they should never be fully submerged in water or exposed to excessive moisture or humidity.
The faster models will come with disc brakes, either for the power wheel or for both wheels to allow for safe stops. Adult scooters are not suitable for children. Even with children scooters, go over safety issues with minors and instruct them well on handling. Only let them ride under supervision until you’re sure they have the vehicle under control at all times. Electric scooters are low-power electric vehicles which travel at speeds that can lead to serious injuries due to falls or crashes. Any rider should at least protect their head with a helmet.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Electric Scooters
Q: How does an electric scooter work?
A: Electric scooters feature a construction similar to regular scooters that are powered by kicking and muscle energy, except that they have a battery and motor. You control speed and braking with controls on the handlebar.
Q: What are the advantages of electric scooters?
A: They are very compact and lightweight and can be folded easily. They’re ideal for quick errands and short inner-city commutes and allow you to easily maneuver. Electric scooters don’t rely on fossil fuels and are free of emissions. You’re flexible because you can bring a scooter on public transportation.
Q: How fast can electric scooters go?
A: The speed can vary with each model and depends on the terrain and weight of the rider. Some scooters go only as fast as 10 miles per hour, while other models go as fast as 30 miles per hour.
Q: Can you ride uphill with an e-scooter?
A: Yes, electric scooters can ride uphill, but they vary in how well they handle inclination. Ultimately, their performance is influenced by the power of the motor, the angle, and your weight. You’ll see some manufacturers provide a hill gradient that their scooter can climb.
Q: How do you charge a scooter battery?
A: Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for charging your e-scooter. In most cases, it’s straightforward and as simple as plugging the scooter into a wall outlet without the need to take out the battery first. Charging time varies with the capacity of the battery and the provided charger.
Q: Are electric scooters safe?
A: In general, electric scooters are safe and reliable and don’t tend to turn over much. They can be considered safer than electric skateboards because you have the handlebar for balance and can control speed and braking right there, without a remote. That being said, electric scooters are low-power vehicles that can cause serious accidents with critical injuries. Be alert when riding your scooter, pay attention to your surroundings and limit your speed according to circumstances.
Q: What safety equipment is recommended for electric scooters?
A: Proper safety equipment includes a helmet to protect your head, and protective gloves for your hands. Depending on circumstances, consider protection for your elbows and knees.
Q: Is it legal to ride an electric scooter?
A: Yes, electric scooters are generally legal in the United States, with no federal law prohibiting their use. Yet state laws can vary on the issue and regulate use in bike lanes, in traffic, on the road, for pedestrian crossings etc. Electric scooters are considered low-power electric vehicles, so inform yourself on local statutes and regulations as well as restrictions and license or insurance requirements. Consult your transportation authority on whether e-scooters are street legal in your area.
Electric scooters offer all the fun of the regular kick models while requiring zero effort or muscle power. Young and adult riders can enjoy gliding and cruising, while the more powerful e-scooters are suitable for longer errands or even commutes. Our guide will help you determine which factors are most important for your needs and which model will suit you best. Remember to look at legislation around e-scooters in your area. Safe riding!
Thanks for reading The 6 Best Electric Scooters For Adults Reviewed. We hope this article has helped you to discover the best electric scooter that meets your needs and preferences.
If you have any questions or comments just use this Contact Form.
And if you’re shopping for other gear take a look at these related review articles from Outside Pursuits:
SPORTS & HOBBIES ELECTRIC SCOOTERS | AGGRESSIVE INLINE SKATES | INLINE SPEED SKATES | OUTDOOR BASKETBALLS | OUTDOOR BASKETBALL SHOES | BASKETBALL HOOPS | WATERSPORTS SHOES | PICKLEBALL PADDLES | GOPRO ALTERNATIVES | DRONES FOR GOPRO | INDOOR SOCCER SHOES | COOLER ICE PACKS | 12 VOLT COOLERS | CAMPING AIR MATTRESSES | WATERPROOF BACKPACKS | WATERPROOF BOOTS
Amazon Top 10 Bestsellers
- New power core Technology and design features 2x the increased ride Time and 50% more power than the original Razor E90
- Maintenance free with no Alignment, no chain, and no chain tensioner needed
- 24V (two 12V) sealed lead acid rechargeable battery system
- Twist-grip acceleration control and ages 8 and up; Handlebar: Height 22 (552 mm)
- Version 2 - Handbrake, Cruise Control, Reinforced Frame and Lock Mechanism
- 8. 5" PNEUMATIC TIRES - Making the GXL the ultimate commuting scooter for overcoming treacherous city streets
- [EXTREMELY FAST AND LONG-RANGE BATTERY LIFE] - A 250W motor propels the e-scooter to a max speed of 15.5 MPH. High capacity battery with a maximum travel range of up to 18.6 miles under specific conditions
- [PORTABLE FOLDING DESIGN] -Weighs just 26.9 lbs. Portable folding design for easy storage at home or hand carry when necessary.The sturdy frame is made of aerospace-grade aluminum
- One twist of the handle and the blue lights illuminate your way
- With power that reaches speeds up to 10mph
- Version Ⅱ - 8.5" Solid Tires, Reinforced Frame, New APP, and Enjoy High Speed
- SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE - The electric scooter features an upgraded 350 Watt motor, boasting an 18.6 MPH max speed and a range of 17 miles, tackles steep 15% hills with ease.
- MAX Range: The Ningbo Kick Scooter MAX with a battery capacity of 551Wh that almost triples the mileage on the Kick Scooter ES2. With a max speed of 15. 5 mph（25 km/hand a range of up to 40 miles（65 km), accommodate a max load of 220 lbs.(100 kg).
- Safe & comfortable riding: the mechanical and electrical Anti-Lock braking system ensure braking safety. Front and rear wheel shock absorbers equipped with self-healing 10-inch solid tires provide max rider comfort, even on rough surfaces or speed bumps.
- New power core Technology and design features 2x the increased ride Time and 50% more power than the original Razor E90
- Maintenance free with no Alignment, no chain, and no chain tensioner needed
- The Electroluminescent wire on deck and 6 LEDs below the deck really light up your ride!
- Innovative power core technology features a 90-watt, maintenance-free, high-torque, hub motor that delivers smooth acceleration with the push of the throttle
- Easily transforms from electric scooter to mini bike
- Height adjustable handlebar with Thumb control throttle
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API